|fair points. Whilst I dont believe ANY respecting druid / person would cause intentional damage, this is surely one person we know wouldnt. I see the point about it encouraging others, but I dont think these people really need encouragement, and would do it anyway. How many of these photographers and or croppies know or care about terry climbing the hill? Not many I reckon - they are there for entirely different reasons. If the climbs was every day then maybe, but one hour a year?|
Rightly or wrongly terry got the keys from EH - guess this is an argument for them, but it is quite a rigmorole for permission to be granted.
On a slightly different note - arent we all in the dark about the safety thing in reality? the detailed results of scans were never properly released were they (correct me if im wrong)? IS the hill THAT unstable, or could it be a ply (hypothetically speaking of course) by EH to keep people off for other management / funding issues?). If the hill was THAT unstable, it would fall i the wind, not by a man walking?!
Well, yes, I can see that it's quite probable that people have based their pagan celebrations on or around Silbury for millennia. But I still think that somebody that is surely claiming to have respect for Nature and Silbury itself wouldn't want to damage those very things? English Heritage haven't put those signs up for nothing.. there is a bloody great dangerous hole that needs fixing. I just think that if one person goes up there - and particularly if it's sanctioned by EH (I find this incredible), then that's encouraging every tom dick and harry to go up there - including people that don't give a shit about paganism, or wild flowers, or the fact that the hole might get worse (for example, people that just want a good photo of some crop circles, and why not). So that's my *point. I think by going up there he was encouraging others, and I think that's a shame. I'm sure I speak for many others here when I say I'd probably love to climb up there (I realise some don't, feeling it's too sacred), but I read the signs and I think 'no'.
This topic is locked
|Posted by nemeton|
4th August 2004ce
Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (Ishmael, Aug 02, 2004, 15:46)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (doktoratomik, Aug 02, 2004, 16:01)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (scousemaiden, Aug 03, 2004, 00:05)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (Hob, Aug 03, 2004, 01:13)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (nemeton, Aug 03, 2004, 12:37)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (Jane, Aug 03, 2004, 12:55)
- Probably a really stupid thing to say... (Nat, Aug 03, 2004, 14:02)
- Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury (nigelswift, Aug 03, 2004, 14:37)
- I glam dicenn them (TomBo, Aug 04, 2004, 12:14)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (doktoratomik, Aug 04, 2004, 12:43)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (Wild Wooder, Aug 04, 2004, 13:00)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (suave harv, Aug 04, 2004, 13:10)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (Cursuswalker, Aug 04, 2004, 17:47)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (Earthstepper, Aug 04, 2004, 18:11)
- Re: I glam dicenn them (nemeton, Aug 04, 2004, 18:17)
- Silbury solutions (Littlestone, Aug 04, 2004, 20:16)
- Bump (Ishmael, Aug 01, 2005, 13:18)