The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Liminal Sacred Landscapes In Orkney
1 message
Select a forum:
Why should the Brodgar peninsula be the only such complex on Orkney ? On a less overpowering scale perhaps the Dingieshowe area should be looked at ( no stone circles I admit ) . An elongated strip of land between two stretches of water that looks across to several islands and has a hill above it . And much better islands for sacred rites ( if someone is seeking another Mine Howe CANMORE in discussing a Christian site on one of these includes the throwaway line that nearby used to be a well with steps going down inside , and this could bear looking into even at this late date ) . The Thing itself is of impressive size still . I wonder if the extensive dunes are relatively recent , otherwise why build a broch on such a size , or much older in which case one wonders what might still lie beneath . What kind of instrument survey could peer beneath sand dunes ?
The trolls were supposed to have their thing at Dingieshowe on All Hallow's Eve , whereas the Brodgar complex seems to be solstice-based . And there may be other lesser complexes of a similar topography elsewhere on Mainland Orkney to serve their communities .

Reply | with quote
wideford
Posted by wideford
28th January 2004ce
20:45