The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rams Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Rams Hill
Re: Wysefool on the Ridgeway
6 messages
Select a forum:
Welcome, wysefool.

:o)

Wouldn't Rams Hill be better described as an 'Enclosure'?

BTW, have you (or anyone else out there) any info on the stones at Ashdown House, two miles south of Wayland's Smithy? I've only recently come across any mention of this site, in 'Rude Stone Monuments' by James Fergusson (1872). He states:

<I>"All the stones are overthrown: some lie flat on the ground, some on their edges, and it is only the smallest that can be said to be standing. The consequence is, that we cannot feel sure that we know exactly where any of them stood, nor whether they were arranged in lines, like those at Carnac; nor if so, in how many rows, or whether they always had the confused appearance they now present. They are spread over an area of about 1600 feet north and south, and of half that distance east and west. The gap in the centre was made purposely to clear the view in front of the house when it was built, and many of the stones it is feared were employed in the erection. They are the same Sarsens as are used at Avebury and Stonehenge, and the largest are about 10 feet long from 6 to 9 wide, and from 3 to 4 feet high (in their present recumbent position); but there are few so large as this, the majority being from 2 to 4 feet in length and breadth, and from 1 to 3
high."</I>

Ashdown House is now a NT property and there's no mention of these stones on their website, so I presume that they've all gone, now.

:o(

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
8th November 2003ce
21:03

Messages in this topic: