The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
ROUND! a missing tomb
41 messages
Select a forum:
I'm off to Bolton in a week or so and will dig the file out before then, Jepson's Gate Cairn is near the Pikestones but there are 'two worlds' - people with wheels and people without wheels - so, other than looking off Winter Hill, I've been nowhere near Anglezarke since Uriah Heep played an arts ball at the barn !

The Notlob parish church site was previously a monument site - but I doubt there's anything left. I'll have a look.

I wrote an article for our local history society and it was printed in two parts. This piece, Prehistoric Remains In Smithills, was very well received - they want me to 'give a talk' but has a couple of glaring errors and a crude style - I'll attach it to an email and wing it to you sometime. The map references are near enough.

There is a professional, at M.U., that I've been keeping up to date with stuff, as I've found it. He's never acknowledged a single missive but was in the news, not long ago, for some work he carried out on a Scottish isle. So he'll travel four hundred miles north, to investigate construction techniques, but not ten ! That just about sums up M.U.

There's a pristine Ring Cairn at the eastern end of the Burnt Edge stone row if you want to look at how your chambered cairn may have looked originally. I've only notified one item with Lancashire County Archaeology Unit and they were completely straightforward and 'supportive'. The best I've dealt with ...

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
30th October 2003ce
07:11

In reply to:

Re: FOUND! the missing tomb? (treehugger-uk)

Messages in this topic: