The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Re: many missing tombs
41 messages
Select a forum:
Yes.

I've also discovered that the archaeological community aren't particularly interested in accepting new site finds - actually. The most extreme example I have of this is a large stone row in Smithills, Bolton. There's nine hefty boulders in a straight line ninety metres long, in the middle of a field. The CA unit has stood on the road, beside the field, looked in and said, "just three glacial erratics". (I have that in writing - plus - "if there were anything there it would have been found by now".) There's an unmarked footpath which crosses this field. Two of the stones are carved with 'grooves'. If you can find the B + W pictures of Wayland's Smithy as it was before restoration there's *another* stone row in Smithills that looks like this picture. The archaeology unit haven't even bothered with this one - a track runs beside it and it shows on the aerial photograph as a distinct skidmark. (and so on).

So TMA allows people to visit this particular site - and the half a dozen others near it - until the CA Unit get their act together.

That's unique !

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
20th October 2003ce
08:10

In reply to:

Re: many missing tombs (Hob)

1 reply:

FOUND! the missing tomb? (treehugger-uk)

Messages in this topic: