The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lancashire Forum Start a topic | Search
Lancashire
Calling Ironman!!
6 messages
Select a forum:
Ironman,

Thanks for your comments,

Glad I'm not the only one who can't find the 'missing' circle. After Saturday I was thinking that summer was the wrong time because of the long grass - now your saying winter is just as bad !! when is the best season to find it :^))

I was impressed with the grooved stone too, especially with the north - south alignment. I don't have a GPS gismo so its difficult to tie the co - ordinates down, as an approximation SD 631 181.

There are quite a few out cropping rocks showing through the eroded peat so it may take some time to find it. Do you think it may need adding as a find ?. What about the mound ? approximate ref. SD629 178, very distinctive when seen on the day.?

I agree with your opinion about features still to be found around this Winter Hill/Anglezaerke and I think we may need a new group adding for Anglezarke itself, any views.

I've added the quarry as a feature
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=4106

I revisited it on Saturday and was amazed how much it had been covered with vegetation !!.
Give it another 10 years and you could quite easily walk past it and not know it was there !

Have you ever been to the Nab Spout, a spring in a grove of oak trees on the west side of Chorley Nab ?

We could do with a meeting sometime to exchange afew ideas !!

RIV

Reply | with quote
Rivington Pike
Posted by Rivington Pike
29th July 2003ce
17:16

In reply to:

Re: Anglezarke Moor Finds ?? (IronMan)

1 reply:

Re: Calling Ironman!! (IronMan)

Messages in this topic: