The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   London Forum Start a topic | Search
London
Re: London Stones
37 messages
Select a forum:
I'm thinking of visiting a couple of such lesser known stones and ancient sites in what was Middlesex that were mentioned in an article in the Spring/summer 2003 issue of '3rd Stone'. It's all a bit 'bottom of the barrel' but beggars can't be choosers.

I haven't yet heard anything about one in Chiswick (which is part of the Borough I live and work in - i.e. Hounslow) but there is a sarsen that has been erected in Lampton Park (Central Hounslow) right next to where I work. I haven't added it to TMA because it was a sarsen that was found and then erected in a park (and presumably erected very badly as it is being held up by an ugly bracing made of red bricks!), so I guess no-one knows if it was ever of any human significance. What do people think? should I add it?

Middlesex / West London does have a lot of history attached to it, ranging from large levels of flint and stone axes around Yiewsley to the Iron Age Boar figurines and wheel cymbol found in Hounslow and now in the British Museum, but getting any perspective of what life was like around here is hard with such large-scale modern development.

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
24th June 2003ce
00:15

In reply to:

London Stones (ocifant)

1 reply:

Re: London Stones (goffik)

Messages in this topic: