The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Beckhampton Avenue Forum Start a topic | Search
Beckhampton Avenue
Re: Beckhampton avenue - serpent's tail or tal...
18 messages
Select a forum:
Hi, Happy 2006!

Harv wrote:

"Isn't it strange when threads re-appear after a few years? I initially thought "who's posting under my name?".
I've read a lot about Avebury since then. It's almost unbelievable to see what a ruined monument Avebury was before the (partial) renovation. It's not hard to see how only two stones remain from the Beckhampton avenue."

But for Keiller there would be practically nothing to see today. WHS would have tied up the few remaining standing stones with red tape, no doubt, then moved on, that's if the site was recognised in the modern period? - masked behind bushes and garden fences; the village was using the earthwork ditch as a local dump. all this had to labouriously cleared before the work of megalithic restoration could even begin - never completed...

"Incidentally, if you look at the famous 'plan from the air' Stuckely print, (page 48 of the current Burl Avebury book, I've got a large print of this), there's shitloads of stones marked as 'a stone fallen'. Three would be under the Red Lion area! There are two under the track way marked 'to Marlborough' (Green Street?)[edit]"

there's plenty of stones still down there - couple of years ago they detected an entire buried arc of stones in the NW quadrant. i want to see those stones - and all the others - is this not our heritage?

bests,

ric

Reply | with quote
Posted by m6
7th January 2006ce
15:33

Messages in this topic: