The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Alton Priors Forum Start a topic | Search
Alton Priors
Re: interesting photos juamei
23 messages
Select a forum:
I've had a further reply to my enquiry about the trapdoors.

"I'm afraid that I have not had any success in establishing the presence of the sandstone revealed by the trapdoors in the church. It is possible that the stone is in its original position and was left in situ following the widening of the nave during the 16th century.

A former colleague recalls one of the Trust's Trustees being unhappy about the trapdoors and regarded them as 'bogus antiquarianism'. The architect of the time, long since retired from practice, cannot remember why the trapdoors were formed.

Apparently there have been minor digs in the area but mostly at the point where the Ridgeway passes through Wansdyke (Mediaeval Archaeology Vol II (1967). A small barrow at Alton Barnes and Adams Grave at Alton Priors are mentioned in Antiquities Journal Vol LXXI (1991). Unfortunately, this is of no help in our quest for information on the church.

I will make further enquiries and let you know should anything of interest come to light."

So it seems the guy I'm in contact with isn't prepared to let this go just yet. I've replied thanking him for his tenacity.

Reply | with quote
ocifant
Posted by ocifant
23rd July 2003ce
14:52

In reply to:

Re: interesting photos juamei (ocifant)

1 reply:

The Bogus Antiquarian (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: