The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Churn Knob Forum Start a topic | Search
Churn Knob
Zealotry
25 messages
Select a forum:
Nigel, how I wish you were 30 years younger! ;0)

Fun with landrovers really appeals, but you're so right in what you say about the other side thinking it would be done in order to clear the way for drinking blood or exalting a wholesome virgin, amongst other things . . . hmm, sounds familiar. ;o)

And I do agree that the 'softly softly' approach is probably the best one to adopt, if real results are to be achieved; what you say about 'somewhere along the line some closed-minded and utterly insensitive Christians of the very worst kind have been involved' is so true. One doubts that they'd even understand the concept that neutrally preserving ancient monuments of a religous nature is not a slight against their faith.

Oh dear, I'm beginning to sound terribly zealous - I'm not really, and I'd love for all faiths to engage in more understanding and tolerance where possible. It's just the *size* of that bloody thing that disturbs me so much; what would be wrong with a five foot cross that didn't dominate the barrow, if you so sorely require such a thing? Add if it's so huge to enable St. Birinus pilgrims to find the place, why don't they teach them something useful in Sunday School, like orienteering and OS map reading? :o)

Aaarrgghh!!!!!!!!!!

Reply | with quote
treaclechops
Posted by treaclechops
4th May 2003ce
10:26

In reply to:

Re: Yes, but ... (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: