The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Churn Knob Forum Start a topic | Search
Churn Knob
History and Paganisation
25 messages
Select a forum:
I really like Pure Joy’s idea of removing the offending items – how about a Coamhain celebration to do so, where a whole bunch of us could meet up to compare axes and bow saws – and I totally agree with the comments about the religions being so weak. I apologise if I made it sound like everyone’s a pagan though; didn’t mean to tar all with the same brush, but I’m a bit aerated! :o)

However, I think Grendel’s hit on a brilliant idea with this line: ‘maybe a suggestion could be made to paganise a church site in Dorset (one with a known prehistoric origin) and see what the response is from the parish. Could be a laugh!’

What about doing this for a laugh? Unfortunately, a quick surf hasn’t yet been able to find any reference Dorchester Abbey having been built on top of a Bronze Age site (as clearly, DA would be the ideal candidate for this type of action), but this reveals some interesting history about the place:

http://www.btinternet.com/~dav[...]20010610_dorchester_ewelme.htm

It’s so bloody irritating . . .and I will be badgering the County Archaeologist about it. Talking of badgers, there appeared to be a sett at the bottom of the field . . . :o)

T’chops x

PS: re: St Birinus preaching at Churn Knob, it was because the Saxon King Cynegils invited him to do so. Stupid boy.

From the Britannia website:

‘Before [Birinus] reached Mercia though, he encountered the pagan Saxons of the Thames Valley. Finding them greatly in need of Christian teaching, he decided to stay and was directed to the King's estate on the Berkshire Downs, probably at Cholsey (Berkshire). Here he met King Cynegils of Wessex who chose Churn Knob (Blewbury, Berkshire) as the site for the saint's first sermon. He must have thought this ancient pagan place to be a fine spot to intimidate the newcomer. However, Birinus was unperturbed and even managed to persuade the King of the merits of Christianity. Cynegils allowed Birinus to preach throughout his Kingdom, but it took a while before he himself was totally converted.’

Reply | with quote
treaclechops
Posted by treaclechops
4th May 2003ce
00:07

1 reply:

Re: History and Paganisation (pure joy)

Messages in this topic: