The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: EH image copyright
51 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
"I have in my hand a can of worms labled 'who owns stonehenge' - anybody got a tin opener?"

Yes - I part-own Stonehenge as it was made by my crafts antecedents and I still maintain that (stonebashing) tradition. The other bona fide members, of that tradition, are the other co-owners. EH are usurpers, of the monument and the tradition.

The thing to do, of course, is to play the copyright bullies at their own game - they threaten you, you threaten back. And as with most bullies they usually do a runner. Both English Heritage and the National Trust (not to mention some freelance 'photographers' who wouldn't know where the mechanics of taking a photo ends and artistic composition begins) have tried this on before.

In the case of Stonehenge, however, (and as far as Sir Cecil Chubb was concerned) the monument belongs to the nation, and in 1918 after owning it for just three years Sir Cecil formally handed it over to the country with a number of conditions. His conditions were that the entrance fee should never be more then a shilling (5p in today's dosh) and that local residents should have free access. According to English Heritage, the 30,000 local residents living in and around Stonehenge can still take up the offer of free access to one of England’s most famous monuments. There you go, free access to local residents and no more than a 5p admission charge for the rest of us - seems fair to me ;-)

Bit more here by the way - http://heritageaction.wordpres[...]the-man-who-bought-stonehenge/

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
23rd October 2010ce
13:30

In reply to:

Re: EH image copyright (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: